Thursday, October 14, 2004

Facts by the Pound

Being in Iceland means presidential debates are shown at 1 AM. Then add my thinking about presidential debate for a couple of hours and the result is; Not enough sleep. Enter previously mentioned sneezing and hollow feeling.
Kerry did well, there were a few nails he could have hammered in better, such as giving the date for Bush's saying that he wasn't all that worried about Bin Laden.
“I just don’t think I ever said I’m not worried about Osama bin Laden,” Bush said. “It’s kind of one of those exaggerations.”
Is this a wise reply?
I remember that quote very well, mostly because it was such an obvious segue to Saddam, but also because it was such a cop out. They couldn't catch the culprit and they were peeved, and W. Did what I do when I am peeved at people, I diminish their importance. Which is petty enough if you are dealing with the phone company or the infuriatingly slow cashier at the super market, but someone who just masterminded a horrifyingly simple and deadly attack on your country? Not petty - but perilous.
Also has me a wee bit worried that W. Couldn't remember that he said that, was there serious loss of oxygen during the pretzel incident?
There was an interesting trend in W.'s answers, every single time the economy, the loss of jobs and the economic reality of middle class America was brought up, he scuttled off and started talking about education and no child left behind. I mean every single time, it was kind of strange to see it.
W. Did a lot of pulpit pounding. Slam-slam-slam went his hand. Kind of like he was on Jeopardy. Didn't anyone tell him that it was a debate with predetermined speaking regulations?
I'm thinking his hand must be hurting today.
So is mine, but not from slamming pulpits, but from priming impossible to paint walls. Ugh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

I also feel that W. must be on a "word of the day" e-mail list. Did you notice how many times he used the word "litany" last night? Methinks he needs to skim through a thesaurus. I do admit the one thing that Kerry very artfully knows how to do is to push W.'s buttons and effectively agitate him. I always like to get other's take on the situation that really can see it objectively.

5:33 PM  
Blogger disinterpreter said...

LOL!
Yes, the husband and I were very much waiting for Kerry to needle W. Push that button senator!
Also think it is hilarious that W kept going on about the importance of edumacatin' folks when his vocabulary and diction speak so clearly to the contrary.
Am curious: what are working class people who have lost their jobs in the past four years suposed to feed their kids with while they are re-training themselves? Where should they place their kids whilst recieving this fab new knowledge?

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home