Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Under the Weather

Annoying throat itchiness going on day 12. Darned. It never fully blooms into a fabulous cold and never fully goes away. Am also allergic to almost all cures, such as eccinachea etc. The only thing I can really do is inhale ridiculous amounts of garlic.
You bet the husband loves it.
Iceland is the weather. The weather rules everything. Something I kind of miss in other places. Despite its name, Iceland really never gets too cold. And never hot. It just sort of hovers around 10°c (about 50°f) in the summer and around -2°c (29°f) in the winter.
What will make or break your day though, is the wind.
The wind can make any day seem like heaven or hell. Depending on its direction it'll chill your bones or just give a refreshing caress. The wind will turn the smallest amount of rain into horizontal showers that easily make their way into undergarments. The wind can make the nicest looking winter days seem like your ears, eyes and jaw will be found, frozen, somewhere in northern Scotland.
The Grouch claims that Iceland has the coldest weather she has ever encountered. She has lived in Minnesota where temperatures tumble down to -30°c (-26°f). I agree with her. After many winters in Finland where similar temperatures are normal, I know what difference the wind makes. Those über-cold places are rarely windy. The forty six layers of clothing that one is wearing for protection actually do their job. Ok, so maybe your eyelashes freeze. And the snot in your nose, but that is sort of fun.
Today, I left the house feeling slightly under the weather. When I returned, the wind had pretty much beaten me to a pulp.
Must...have...more...garlic...

4 Comments:

Blogger Snowbabies said...

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, hope you get better soon, it's a pain when a cold just drags on and on... I've been watching a webcam in Reykjavik hoping to see some snow, not seen any yet though.

The webcam is at http://axis.mmedia.is/fullsize.jpg I've also been watching a live one in Husavik at http://frontpage.simnet.is/einarmagnus/husavikvefmyndavel.htm which shows how windy it is!

Paul.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Hope that you feel better soon! Are you able to take vitamin C? I've found that does wonders, when a cold is coming on.

3:54 PM  
Blogger disinterpreter said...

Thank You!
I am able to have vitamin c and have been taking some everyday. Now I am trying to figure out what mental reason might lie behind this...according to my copy of Heal your Body by Louise L. Hay, colds are due to "too much going on at once" and "mental confusion". Hm. Namaste.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Bethn8r said...

I am currently experiencing a fabulous cold, and it's been about 80 degrees here in DC...everyone looks at me like I'm crazy for wearing wool sweaters. Funny what a fever will do to you..

I went to school in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and I will say that having your eyelashes freeze is a singularly strange experience.

You make Iceland sound fabulous! There are always cheap tickets on IcelandAir from the US, and one of these days my husband and I are going to take advantage of them. Only on a wind-free weekend, though...

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home