Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Super Size Me part 3

The Icelandic comments on Morgan Spurlock's blog make me proud to have been reared elsewhere and that I have a smidgen of Danish in me. Of course being able to read them out loud with an Icelandic accent makes them even funnier.
I'll be the first to admit that Super Size Me is not the greatest documentary ever made, however, it is indeed important. I think - this is of course my own philosophy and I have no degree in such things - anyway, I think the gargantuan corporations are slowly becoming the kingdoms of the future. And just as we need to be critical of our national and international politics, we must be critical of the companies. They must withstand scrutiny and close examination.
My favorite comment posted on aforementioned blog is this one:
hm, so this is what 1000 years of inbreeding does to people.
that along with a heavily americanized culture can't be good. thank god they're too insignificant to start an apocalypse.

So true.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

I'm curious...you don't have to answer...but where are your originally from?

12:18 PM  
Blogger disinterpreter said...

I was born in Iceland by Icelandic parents, so I guess that makes me Icelandic. However, I have spent 80% of my life living in various other countries -including the US- so I honestly don't feel that I have a nationality. Words such as patriotism are pretty meaningless to me.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Thanks for answering. It's always interesting to hear an opinion from someone living elsewhere. It really puts things into perspective, while at the same time make similarities obvious.

7:06 PM  
Blogger disinterpreter said...

Yes, I agree, there are so many similarities. Also Iceland is perhaps the most Americanized of all the European countries. Except - in an odd way - Russia, which in many ways reminds me of the US.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home