Friday, August 27, 2004

Lady Lawyers

The following takes place in a British accent:

- Look at this! Don't you think you have died and gone to heaven?

- Yes, it's marvelous, isn't it.

- That Johnstone girl, is she of mixed race?

- Um.

- Oh, are you not supposed to say mixed race any more? Well then what are you supposed to say?

-Um.... (long pause) Well, I don't think you're supposed to say anything, really...

Not an entirely strange conversation. I've heard many worse. However, considering the circumstances this one is frightening. These were two well dressed men, way past 40, at a conference in Reykjavik today. The name of the conference was Women, Power and The Law, with keynote speaker Cherie Booth (Tony Blair's wife).
The heaven the men were referring to was the number of blonde female law students in front of them and "That Johnstone girl" is a Doctor of Law...
Meanwhile I managed to get a huge ink stain on my pants and was the only one in the auditorium wearing sneakers. I'm surprised I didn't spill my coffee or burp really loudly. Yeah, I'm a lady!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home