Thursday, August 19, 2004

Being Boring

Alright, it had to happen. In the words of the ever phenomenal Pet Shop Boys, today I am Being Boring.
Speaking of The Pet Shop Boys, do you know how much heat I've gotten for standing by them? Yes I do love them. They were gay long before Will & Grace were able to unlock the closet door. Although I myself am not gay, it is often assumed that I am. Perhaps because I think friendships are really important - I would venture to say as important as any relationship.
Being presumed gay is a strange catch 22, as much as I loved my galpals I still wanted the word on the street to be that I was straight - just so that the boys wouldn't pass me over. And yet, I felt denying it too fervently would smack of homophobia. Or, as one dear friend (who was my supposed lover) put it; "I don't care if they think I am gay, but if they think less of me because of it then they are not people I want to know."
Words to live by.

But that is not actually why I love The Pet Shop Boys. I love them because when I am being mind-numbing I know that there are people out there who are successfully so. I love them because they often sound exactly what I want to be; duller than watching paint dry yet reflective with a certain beat that makes you bop your head.
I was in my teens when they became popular. My dad was horrified by my taste, or lack thereof. He had purposefully played nothing but The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix to hone my musical ear. And what did the thankless child do? She listened to floating, fleeting electronically enhanced club music. The horror.
But I just couldn't help it. I preferred their quiet ways. I stood by them through the 90's when everyone else sneered at 80's music. I defended my right to like them through disputes and derision.

Being slow, boring and non-aggressive is undervalued by many. We who love silence are often viewed as being the party poopers of life.
Today, I raise my decaf coffee to Being Boring, let August 19 be known as Intense Boredom Day and let us whisper "Hooray" in unison.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Just like to say, welcome to the world of blogging. I enjoyed visiting your blog and I hope you don't mind if I link to it. Keep up the good work. You'll soon be hopelessly addicted, like the rest of us! :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Snowbabies said...

I missed this yesterday so I'll raise a glass today for being boring and liking the Pet Shop Boys too. Now I've got the tune in my head, I'm going to have to dig out the CD when I get home :-)

Paul.

10:22 AM  
Blogger disinterpreter said...

Thanks Paul and Jenny, and yes I am hoplessly addicted...

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home